Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nutrition? in a hospital?

After a test at our San Francisco General Hospital, I was hungry for lunch, but had only a little time before I had to get to the job that I have right now. I stopped at the hospital cafeteria, thinking I'd get a quick bowl of soup. Imagine my shock when I read on the menu that that days' soup, Clam Chowder, contained 1510 mg. of sodium per serving.

I'll say that again, 1510 mg in a bowl of soup...in a hospital.
The US Governments' Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2005, published every five years, recommends that Americans limit their sodium intake to
2300 mg per day. So, this bowl of clam chowder would provide one with about 65 percent of their recommended daily salt intake.

The City of San Francisco has banned soda and other junk food from it's schools, and requires chain resturants to post the nutritional data for their food, in an effort to encourage healthy eating by it's residents. At the same time, the City provides care to it's residents at SFGH, yet on this day a bowl of soup contained a level of sodium that is beyond unhealthy. That doesn't make sense.

1 comment:

  1. I will never understand why hospitals insist on serving food that will kill you. On the one hand, they are supposed to be making you healthy and better, on the other, you've got salt, I mean, clam chowder, instant potatoes, jell-o and all the other crapola you find on a patient's dinner tray. It's insanity.

    ReplyDelete