Tuesday, October 6, 2009

a long hiatus...

Well, the Unemployed Dragon got side lined in July by some health issues. After a physical exam revealed an asymmetrical thyroid, I was sent to San Francisco General Hospital, for further tests, which brought me to a diagnosis of Papiliary Thyroid Cancer.

Yeah, Cancer. The Big C. Hmmmmm....

So, I went on to have surgery at SFGH, having my thyroid removed. Initially, not fun at all, but I've made a rapid recovery and am currently getting ready for the second phase of treatment, Radioactive Iodine, which I swallow in order to kill any stray thyroid cells.

So I have cancer? Somehow it hasn't hit me... I don't have a feeling of dread or fear. Rather, I keep thinking: "This is a big pain in the butt. It's getting in the way of the life that I'm trying to get back in the form of working. Instead of working, I'm going to doctors...surgereon, endocrinologist, nuclear medicine.

But dread? Fear? Nope.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely attitude! Cancer is just a "big pain in the butt" and hardly keeps you from breaking your stride. I hope that I can maintain your stylish outlook if I'm ever faced with it.

    ReplyDelete